Fitness Industry Employees

Tax Deductions for Fitness Industry Employees
Tax deductions for Personal Trainers, Coaches etc..

If you are employed in a gym or sporting organisation, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel

The cost of the following:

  • Meals when you work overtime, provided you have been paid an overtime allowance by your employer
  • Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when travelling to attend seminars, conferences, meetings, competitions and training courses (if you need to stay away overnight you can also claim for the cost of all meals and your accommodation)
  • Using your own car for work, including travel to collect materials and supplies, travel between two or more places of work, attend seminars, meetings, conferences or training courses and work related competitions. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometres travelled during the year for these purposes.

Work Clothing

The cost of the following:

  • Compulsory uniforms, including shirts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumpers, (the logo must be on the uniform to ensure it is tax deductible). Note general exercise clothing is not deductible (including track suits, running shoes, t-shirts) unless the employer’s logo is on it
  • Laundry, dry cleaning of your uniforms
  • Sun protection items if required to work and conduct training outside (including sunscreen, sunglasses, hats)


The cost of the following:

  • Work-related short training courses related to your current employment e.g. first aid, OH&S, personal training, nutrition, staff supervision, management and attendance at fitness expos, which are not run by a university or TAFE. You can also claim the travel expenses to attend these courses.
  • Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE, for example Cert IV in Fitness, provided they relate to your current employment. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.
  • Compulsory CPD training courses

Work Tools & Equipment

The costs of:

  • Buying and repairing equipment used at work, including sporting equipment and weights to be used by clients, electronic organisers, laptops and mobile phones.
  • Stationery items, diaries, briefcases
  • Insuring your equipment

Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet

The costs of:

  • Association membership or union fees
  • Attending competitions as acoach or trainer, including entry fees
  • work related books, magazines and journals
  • work related CD’s and DVD’s
  • Work related licences (excluding drivers licence)
  • work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
  • internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
  • home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)

General Expenses

The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include:

  • bank fees charged on investment accounts
  • donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • tax agent fees, including the cost of traveling to see your agent to have your return prepared.
  • Income protection or sickness and accident premiums

Individual Taxation Returns suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.

Chartered Accountant and Registered Tax Agent. ABN 88 460 261 833