Ambulance Officers

Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers

If you are employed as an ambulance officer or ambulance driver, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel

The cost of the following:

  • Meals when you work overtime
  • Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when traveling to attend seminars, conferences, meetings and training courses not held at your usual place of work, or to travel between two or more stations
  • Using your own car for work, including travel to attend meetings, conferences or training courses that are not held at your workplace, to pick up supplies or to travel between two different stations for shifts or call-outs. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometers travelled during the year for these purposes.

Work Clothing

The cost of the following:

  • Compulsory uniforms, including shirts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumper
  • Protective work boots
  • Laundry, dry cleaning and repairs or alterations of your uniforms


The cost of the following:

  • Work-related training courses e.g. first aid, OH&S, wound-care, treatment updates, rescue, rapid response courses and conferences, provided they relate to your current employment. You can also claim the travel expenses to attend these courses.
  • Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE, for example Diploma in Paramedical Science, provided they relate to your current employment. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.

Work Tools & Equipment

The costs of:

  • Buying and repairing equipment used at work, including medical equipment and tools, electronic organisers, laptops and mobile phones.
  • Repairs to equipment used at work
  • Stationery items, diaries, briefcases

Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet

The costs of:

  • union dues
  • professional memberships
  • work related books, magazines and journals
  • work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
  • internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
  • home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)

General Expenses

The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include:

  • bank fees charged on investment accounts
  • donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • tax agent fees, including the cost of traveling to see your agent to have your return prepared.
  • Income protection or sickness and accident premiums

Individual Taxation Returns suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.

Chartered Accountant and Registered Tax Agent. ABN 88 460 261 833