Administrative and Clerical Employees

Tax Deductions for Administrative and Clerical Employees

If you are employed as an administrative or clerical officer, some of the deductible expenses you may be able to claim on your tax return are:

Meals & Travel

The cost of the following:

  • Meals when you work overtime
  • Parking, tolls, taxis & public transport when traveling to attend seminars, meetings and training courses
  • Using your own car for work, including collecting mail, banking, attending meetings and training courses, picking up business supplies. It is best to keep diary records of the number of kilometers traveled during the year for these purposes.

Work Clothing

The cost of the following:

  • Compulsory uniforms, including shorts, pants, shirts, jackets, jumper (the uniform must have the business logo on it to ensure it is tax deductible)
  • Any protective equipment required for working at your business premises, including gloves, masks, goggles, steel-toed boots, hum boots, sun protection items, outdoor jackets and aprons. These are only relevant if the protective items are required to be worn by your employer due to potential danger in the work environment.


The cost of the following:

  • Work-related training courses e.g. first aid, OH&S, computer, bookkeeping, management, which are not run by a university or TAFE
  • Self education courses run by universities (not including HELP or HECS) or TAFE. If studying, costs of books, stationery, travel and equipment required for the course.

Work Tools & Equipment

The costs of:

  • Buying equipment used at work, including tools, laptops, organisers and mobile phones
  • Repairs to equipment used at work
  • Stationery items, diaries, briefcases

Memberships, Subscriptions, Books, Telephones, Internet

The costs of:

  • accrued membership fees or union dues
  • work related magazines and journals
  • work related books
  • work related home and mobile phone calls and rental (diary records should be kept to substantiate the numbers of phone calls you make for one month and then the accrued cost can be calculated)
  • internet connection fees (only the proportion of the fee that relates to work use can be claimed)
  • home office (diary records should be used to substantiate the hours per month spent working from home)

General Expenses

The cost of deductions that all employees can claim on their tax returns include:

  • bank fees charged on investment accounts
  • donations to registered charities (so long as nothing is received in return for the donation eg raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • tax agent fees, including the cost of travelling to see your agent to have your return prepared.

Individual Taxation Returns suggest you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. When we prepare your return we can determine whether the expense is tax deductible or not.

Chartered Accountant and Registered Tax Agent. ABN 88 460 261 833